Chromebook Keyboard and Language Settings
Want to change the display language of your Chromebook or add a keyboard layout for typing in another language? The Chromebooks operating system (Chrome OS) is a fully multi-language operating system, so changing the system language or adding keyboard layouts for other languages is really simple. Follow these instructions to add a keyboard language layout for typing in another language (Russian, Spanish or any other language).
- Click on the status area in the lower right-hand side of your screen.
- Click “Settings.”
- Click the “Keyboard Settings” button.
- Click “Change language and input settings.”
- Click the “Add” button in the languages panel.
- Choose the language you would like to add and click “OK” button.
- Check the checkbox by the Input Method that you would like to activate for this language.
- If you would like display the whole operating system in this langauge, click the button “Display Google Chrome in this language.”
- Click the “Done” button.
Once you have added your new keyboard layout, you will see a new keyboard indicator in the settings area. This shows you which language you are currently typing in. To switch the keyboard layout to a different language, use the Alt + Shift key combination. Now you can easily toggle between the two (or more) languages when typing.